Non-UNM Participant

UNM's study abroad programs attract students from large public universities, small private colleges, and community colleges all over the United States. 

Students from many different academic disciplines go on our international programs. No matter your interest, we can help find a program for you!

The method by which you apply will depend on whether you plan to receive academic credit or not:

  • Use the first tab if you are a non-UNM student planning to participate in a UNM Education abroad program and will receive academic credit through UNM and/or receive transfer credit from an international partner institution.
  • Use the second tab if you are a non-UNM participant participating in a UNM Education Abroad program and will not be receiving academic credit.

If you have any questions, please contact us. We are happy to help!




Melanie, Dongguk University, Fall 2022 

Credit-Bearing Programs

If you are a non-UNM student participating in a UNM Education Abroad Program planning to receive academic credit through UNM and/or receive transfer credit from an international partner institution (exchange programs) follow the steps below.

1) Start communication with your home institution: Contact your home institution’s international office (or international representative) and your academic department to let them know you are interested in studying abroad. Follow any processes your home institution may have.

Throughout the application and pre-departure process, communicate with your home institution's academic advisor, the appropriate academic departments, and the international office to ensure the selected study abroad program works with your degree plan. Research your home institution's credit transfer process and ensure that they will accept credits from your study abroad program. 

  • Depending on the program, students may receive a UNM transcript or an international transcript.
    •  Students participating in Faculty-led programs most often receive UNM credits (with some exceptions). 
    • Students participating in Exchange or Direct Enrollment programs will receive a transcript from their host institution, not UNM.
      • It will be up to the student's home institution's Registrar’s Office to determine how the credits will be transferred. 

2) Search for Possible Programs: Use the UNM Program Search page to explore UNM's Exchange Partner institutions and affiliated programs.

  • Programs tagged as "Exchange" operate on a formal agreement between UNM and a partner institution abroad. Non-UNM students will need to enroll as non-degree-seeking students at UNM to attend a partner institution as an exchange students.
  • Programs tagged as "Study Abroad" or "Other" are considered to be "Direct Enrollment"programs. As Direct Enrollment programs operate without formal exchange agreements with UNM, non-UNM students may be able to participate in these programs independently or with the help of their home institution and do not need to apply through UNM Education Abroad. 
    •  However, if a non-UNM student participating in an Independent or a Direct Enrollment program would like support from a UNM study abroad advisor and the UNM Global Education Office (e.g. application guidance, pre-departure advice, flights, packing, and other assistance), they should still formally apply through UNM Education Abroad. 
  • Students should not apply to a UNM Education Abroad program until admitted to UNM as a non-degree-seeking student and have created a UNM NET ID (steps 4 &5). 

3) Contact a UNM Study Abroad Advisor: Contact the appropriate study abroad advisor, based on program region and type, to discuss possible program options and personal goals. 

  • For Faculty-Led programs, please contact the faculty leader listed on the program page for approval before moving forward.

4) Apply to UNM as a Non-Degree Student: Apply to UNM as a non-degree-seeking student here. 

  • Important: Please, wait until you are formally admitted to UNM before moving forward. If you try to apply to a program before you are admitted to UNM, you will need to re-apply once you are admitted!

5) Create your UNM NetID: After UNM admittance create your UNM NetID

6) Apply to UNM Education Abroad: Once admitted as a UNM student, follow the 10 steps to study abroad, and complete a UNM study abroad application. 

  • After you receive your study abroad acceptance, your UNM study abroad advisor will provide you with a “study abroad action plan” that will guide you through your next steps, including health and safety materials and international university applications.

7) Tuition: Tuition payment depends on the type of program you plan to participate in.

  • Exchange Programs: Students will register for the UNM course ISEP 888 and pay 15 credit hours of UNM tuition.
  • Direct Enrollment Programs: Students will register for the UNM course ISEP 999 and pay tuition directly to the host institution. No tuition is paid to UNM. 
  • Faculty-Led Programs: In most cases, students will register for the UNM course(s) listed on the program page (Ex: ENG 123, 3 credit hours) Students will pay UNM tuition for the number of credits outlined by the program. 
    •  In some cases, the course will offer transfer credit from an international institution. In this case, tuition is paid directly to the international institution or affiliate provider.

8) Financial Aid: Check with your home institution to see if financial aid and scholarships can be used for studying abroad. For many programs, students may be able to use their current financial aid and scholarships (Ex. Lottery Scholarship). 

Students paying tuition to UNM will need to fill out a "Consortium Agreement" form with the Financial AId Office at their home institution. Consortium Agreements allow the student's home institution to send their award package to the UNM Financial Aid Office to help cover the cost of UNM tuition. 

Faculty-Led Programs (Non-Credit)

Many UNM Faculty-Led Programs are open to community members and participants do not need to receive academic credit for their program participation. 

If you are a non-UNM student participating in a UNM Faculty-Led Program and you will not be receiving academic credit for your participation, follow the steps outlined below.

1). Create a UNM study abroad portal account by clicking "sign up" at the bottom of the welcome page. 

  • Be sure to always log in to your study abroad portal through the "Sign In" button located at the bottom of the page. Do not select "Go to Portal" unless you have a University of New Mexico email address!

2). Browse UNM Faculty-Led programs by selecting the "Faculty/Teacher Led" filter under the "Program Type" button at the top of the program catalog. 

3). Contact the Faculty-Led program coordinator at and the faculty leader directly if you have any questions about the program, application requirements, and deadlines. 

4. Apply to the program by following any instructions outlined in the program description and by selecting the "Apply" button on the program page. 


All individuals participating in a UNM Education Abroad program will be required to meet all study abroad requirements and follow UNM policy and formal procedures.