Study Abroad Programs FAQs

Where can I study abroad?

  •  There are programs in over 45 countries at more than 100 universities. You can search for programs here.

Can I participate in a program that is not listed on the UNM study abroad website?

  • Yes. Please contact one of our study abroad advisors to ensure the program is approved. Then we can add the program to the UNM system for you. 

What is an Exchange program?

  • UNM has worked to cultivate agreements with foreign institutions that allow for a semester or year long exchange of students in exchange programs.
  • You pay UNM tuition as normal and the course credits from the host institution transfer back to UNM. You can choose to take classes in English AND/OR host country language.
  • Exchange programs are a good fit for students looking to get out on their own and study in a foreign country for a semester or year. These tend to be cost effective but will require a great deal of independence.

What is a Faculty-Led International Program? 

  • Faculty-led programs are typically short term programs (2-8 weeks) led by UNM faculty, staff, or student leaders and are often topic or disciplinary focused. Most Faculty-Led programs run over winter, spring, or summer break. Many of these programs offer UNM credits – no transfers needed. They are a great option for students who are wanting to venture out to a new country with peers and the guidance of a faculty member on a short term program.

What is Independent Travel and Independent Study Abroad


Financial Aid & Scholarships FAQs

How much will it cost to study abroad?

  • Cost of study abroad depends on the location, duration, and type of program. Please meet with a study abroad advisor to discuss the best options for your financial situation. Financial Aid (including Lottery) can be used towards most pre-approved program and many scholarships are available.

Can I receive financial aid to study abroad?

  • Yes. Most scholarships, including the Lottery, Amigo, Presidential, etc. can be used to study abroad. Scholarships, Grants, and Loans will still apply.  

How do I raise my cost of attendance?

  • If you need to raise your cost of attendance with the financial aid office, please send an email to your study abroad advisor along with a budget. You can use the budget sheet included in your online study abroad account

Where do I find scholarships for study abroad?

Study Abroad Application FAQs

How do I get started?

  • Please follow the 10 step process here

How do I open an Abroad 101 application?

  • See PDF with instructions on how to open an Abroad 101 application here.

How do I upload documents to my study abroad application?

  • See PDF with instructions on how to upload documents to your application here.

How do I update my contact and emergency contact information in my application?

  •  See PDF with instructions on how to update your contract and emergency contact information in your application here.

How do I request a PDF of my unofficial or official UNM transcript for my application?

  •  See PDF with instructions on how to request a PDF of your unofficial or official UNM transcript for your application here.

When are study abroad applications due? 

  • Applications are due September 15th for spring programs and February 15th for fall programs. Summer program application deadlines vary, but are typically due between January and April.





Academic FAQs 

Do I need to know a foreign language to study abroad?

  • Not always. If you know the local language, you can take courses in that langauge. If you don't, in many cases you can take classes in English or learn the language while you are there. 

What is the minimum GPA to study Abroad?

  • For most programs a minimum of a 2.5 GPA is required. (Some programs may require a 3.0) and you must be in Good Academic Standing.

How do I transfer credits to UNM from my study abroad? 

  • Please follow the instructions here.

How do I apply for a passport? 

  • You can apply for a passport at UNM in the Bookstore. For more information, click here.

What is the difference between a Passport and a Visa?

  • Anytime you travel to another country, you will need a Passport. This is the booklet that is used for personal identification whenever and wherever you travel abroad. A Visa gives you official permission to enter the host country (and either travel or study). You must apply for a visa and either set-up an in-person appointment OR (if you are lucky) send your passport to the country's embassy or consulate for them to apply the visa stamp. Some countries require all international guests to obtain a visa, but there are many countries that do not require a visa for entry. In many countries, you only need a Visa if you are staying longer than 90 days. Always check with your program contact person and the country's embassy or consulate to be sure.

Do I need International Health Insurance to study abroad?

  • Yes, once you start your study abroad application, in your online account, you will see information on requirements for international health insurance. You will purchase insurance through Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI).  You can find more information here or in your application.