Independent Study Abroad/Academic Travel Registration

Use this page to register your independent study abroad or independent international travel. Registration is a quick and easy process that will help GEO advise you and enable us to provide assistance in the event of an emergency. All UNM degree-seeking students traveling abroad to receive credit or for any other academic purpose will need to complete registration before their departure, as stipulated in University Policy 2710: Education Abroad Health and Safety. Use these guidelines to determine which registration you should complete:


Independent Study Abroad

Complete the Independent Study Abroad registration if you are a UNM degree-seeking student and the following conditions apply to you:

  • You will be participating in a for-credit academic program outside of the United States
  • The program you will enroll in is not organized by UNM or by a UNM partner institution or provider (if it is, you should find the program on the UNM Study Abroad Program Search Page and complete that registration instead)

This registration includes a $300 credit transfer fee, which you must pay in order to transfer the credit you earn abroad to UNM. If you do not plan on transferring credit from your program to UNM, you need not pay the fee. Please note that you must complete this registration regardless of whether the program on which you will participate will take place during the regular semester or during a break, and you must pay the credit transfer fee before your credits will be transferred to UNM. Payment of the fee does not guarantee that your credits will be accepted for transfer or that they will count towards your program of study; you are strongly advised to confer with GEO and with your academic advisor before committing to participate in any non-UNM study abroad program.


Independent Travel

Complete the Independent Travel registration if you are a UNM degree-seeking student who will be undertaking any non-credit international travel with an academic purpose. This can include:

  • Research or fieldwork performed abroad
  • Participation in an academic conference, artistic performance or athletic event abroad
  • Completion of a medical rotation abroad
  • Any volunteer or paid work abroad which is related to your academic course of study
  • Other international travel with an academic focus (i.e., not simply a vacation or family visit)

Travel for any purpose to any location within the United States does not require registration. UNM faculty or staff who are not degree-seeking students are not required to register any travel. There is no fee for this registration.

If you are unsure if you need to register, which program you should register for, or have any issues with the registration process, please contact your GEO advisor.