Funding and Scholarships

How to pay for study abroad?

Funding is every student's number one concern when considering studying abroad. Most UNM students utilize a combination of financial aid, scholarships, and their own money to study abroad. In almost all cases, you can use your financial aid (Pell Grant, New Mexico Lottery Success Scholarship, loans, etc.) to study abroad!!

Study abroad is considered a High Impact Practice that has numerous benefits in student development, so there are many organizations out there willing to help fund your time abroad - including UNM. Start your research into scholarship opportunities early - you can begin with the tabs, below!

Remember, not all programs carry the same costs, so if finances are of particular concern to you, speak with your study abroad advisor at GEO to discuss some options that may be less costly. Some opportunities are even less expensive than being at UNM for the semester!!


Gilman Scholarship

Important Information: Applicant must receive a federal Pell Grant either the semester of application or the semester of study abroad. The scholarship will fund up to $5,000 for a program of 28 days to one year in duration, with an additional $3,000 possible for students studying a critical language. May not be applied to study in areas under a State Department Travel Warning.

Boren Scholarship and Fellowship

Important Information: Funds up to $20,000 for undergraduate applicants ($30,000 for graduate students) wishing to study a critical language (Chinese, Arabic, Russian, etc.). May not be applied to study in Western Europe, Canada, Australia or New Zealand. Primarily funds full-year programs, but a number of shorter-term options exist.

Fulbright Program

Important Information: Funds a wide variety of potential programs. Applicants must have completed their undergraduate degree at the time of application.

Generation Study Abroad Scholarship (ITESO)

Important Information: The Generation Study Abroad scholarship is awarded based on academic and social merit. Students must be nominated by their home study abroad office to ITESO. There is no language requirement. 

Philipp Schwartz Initiative for Threatened Foreign Researchers

Important Information: This scholarship provides German universities and research institutions with means to host threatened foreign researchers for 24 months.

GRIT Scholarship

Important Information: The GRIT Scholars receive a $2,000 scholarship ($1,500 while abroad and $500 after scholars have completed project deliverables) for their international experience. Scholars must participate in a [rogram for no less than 28 days.

These experiences include studying, teaching, interning, skilled volunteering, and research abroad.

Critical Language Scholarship

Important Information: Fully-funded eight-week summer programs for those wishing to learn a critical language.

Fund for Education Abroad

FEA makes life-changing, international experiences accessible to all by supporting minority and first-generation college students before, during, and after they participate in education abroad programs. Important Information: Funds up to $10,000 for those studying abroad for at least four weeks.

German Academic Exchange Services (DAAD)

Important Information: This grant is a small view of the aid the German government will distribute, please visit their website for more information. 

Austrian Ernst Mach Grant

Important Information: This grant is a small view of the aid the Austria government will distribute, please visit their website for more information. 

US-Japan Bridging Scholarship

Important Information: Funds $4,000 for study in Japan.

Monbukagakusho (MEXT) Scholarship

Funding for Study in Japan. 

Phi Kappa Phi Scholarship

Important Information: Applicants must have a GPA of at least 3.75. Funds up to $10,000 for study abroad.

BUTEX Scholarship

Funds 500 pounds for exchange students going to the United Kingdom.

Chateaubriand Scholarship

For doctoral students 4-9 months fully funded. STEM and Humanities.

Project GO Scholarship

A scholarship search engine for ROTC students.

Fulbright-Hays--Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad 

This program provides grants to colleges and universities to fund individual doctoral students who conduct research in other countries, in modern foreign languages and area studies for periods of six to 12 months.

Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowships Program 

This program provides grants to colleges and universities to fund undergraduate students and graduate students undergoing training in modern foreign languages and related area or international studies. 

IIE Freeman Awards for Study in Asia

Freeman-ASIA accepts applications from U.S. citizens or permanent residents studying at the undergraduate level at a two-year or four-year college or university who demonstrate financial need to study abroad in East or Southeast Asia.

Study Abroad Scholarships for American Students of Minority and Heritage Communities

These scholarships are awarded to eligible undergraduate and graduate students who have been accepted to a language program or university study abroad program in Turkey, the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus (TRNC), or Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH).

Semester Stipend at the University of Bonn for Winter 2017/2018

Provides a stipend for exchange students at the University of Bonn for the Winter Semester of 2017/2018 with the option to be prolonged for students who choose to stay the whole academic year.


This scholarship initiative runs through the end of July 2017. 20 scholarships are available at $500 each!

Academy of International Business Southeast and the Asia Institute Joint Scholarships

Offers up to $1000 for students participating in an international experience in Asia, related to international business.

If you decide to study abroad through a Direct Enrollment program, many of the provider organizations will offer special scholarships for qualified students enrolled on their programs. The following organizations offer scholarships directly for UNM students. Some programs from each of the providers, below, are featured on our website, but please be aware that many other programs are offerd by these organizations - and the following scholarships will likely apply. If you do not see a program of interest on our site, feel free to research each provider's website and meet with a UNM Study Abroad advisor for more information on applying through UNM.

Note: These scholarships are exclusively for students attending a program organized by the respective study abroad organization. They cannot be applied to an exchange program or any other type of study abroad experience.


  • UNM students travelling with CIEE qualify for an immediate $2,000 Minority Serving Institutions grant. Additional grants and scholarships are avaialble, particularly for students receiving Pell grant funding. See more details, here. Contact your advisor for additional details.


  • UNM students qualify for an IFSA-Butler State School Scholarship, between $500-$2000 per program (Engage and Alliance programs, excluded). IFSA-Butler also offers a First Generation scholarship program, as well as additional funding options. One popular scholarship is the Upfront Auckland Scholarship, which offers up to $7,500 for students attending the IFSA-Butler Auckland progrm. Contact your advisor for additional details. 



Semester at Sea

  • Scholarship - awarded to four students per voyage, covers airfare and a $5,000 tuition reduction

    HACU Scholarship - $10,000 award for one student per voyage

    Alumni Support Scholarships - a group of about 40 donor-funded awards ranging from $500-$10,000

    Pell Grant Match - SAS will match one semester of a student's Pell Grant if they can provide an award letter

    Student Assistant Grants - $4,000 tuition reduction in return for working in a position on board the ship for two hours each day the ship is at sea. Examples of the positions are Computer Lab, Library, Administrative Assistants, etc. 


In almost all cases, you can use your financial aid to study abroad! This includes the Lottery Scholarship, Federal Pell Grants, and many other scholarships you may receive at UNM.

  • For students studying abroad for a Fall and/or Spring semester:

    • If you choose an Exchange program, you will pay UNM tuition as normal. This means that your financial aid and scholarships will automatically apply to your tuition at UNM. There will be NO CHANGE in your tuition fee, if you normally pay for 15 credits. You will register for the study abroad placeholder class ISEP 888 to notify financial aid and the bursar that you are studying abroad on exchange.

    • If you choose a Direct Enroll/Non-UNM program, you will be able to have your financial aid and scholarships disbursed to you. If you have direct deposit set up with the Bursar’s office, the money will come directly to your checking account. You can use this money to pay your tuition and/or travel costs for your program! Pell grants, Lottery Scholarships, Presidential and Woodward scholarships, and most student loans CAN be used for direct enroll study abroad, however, the Amigo Scholarship cannot be used. You will register for the study abroad placeholder class ISEP 999 to notify financial aid and the bursar that you are studying abroad on a direct enroll program.

  • For students studying abroad on a summer program: Pell grant recipients can receive funding for summer study abroad!

    • Tuition scholarships may not be available for use in summer, if they do not typically include summer enrollment.

    • You will register for the study abroad placeholder class ISEP 999, to notify financial aid and the bursar that you are studying abroad

It is your responsibility to know the requirements for you scholarships (GPA, credit hours, etc.) and maintain these while you are abroad. International schools may have different grading scales, modes of instruction, and expectations for students. Your study abroad advisor can help you choose the best program and courses to maintain your scholarships - please ask!

In the case that you do not achieve the appropriate grades or credits to maintain your scholarships, you can work with Scholarships office to Petition for Scholarship Reinstatement: Please contact the Scholarships office for questions, and let your GEO advisor know if you have issues.